Header image

Header image

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Summit Point - Short Configuration practice

In preparation for the carnage this Sunday I started a testing session at Summit Point Short tonight to familiarise myself with the track.

It's an interesting configuration to someone used to the normal long track.  The short configuration has you cutting through and across from the start/finish point to Turn 3.  In the normal configuration Turn 3 is a fairly tricky high speed/high stakes corner, where most people put a wheel off into the dirt every lap.  In this short configuration since you are approaching it from the cut through at a slower speed there is much less risk and the corner feels toothless.

There's a section of S's at the back that I can occasionally take flat out in 3rd.  On a good run I'll change up to 4th and take the second last corner flat out as well.  This short configuration will be good for close racing as the straight away is much reduced; there will be less of an advantage to getting a great entry out of the last corner.

I clocked a 1.09 in this session.   Replay attached(if I can work out how), many improvements to be made!


2 comments:

  1. Happy to see that corner mitigated in this layout, means I can save most of my stress for getting the last corner right!

    Does that also mean higher entry speeds to the right hander and a more exciting braking phase into the hairpin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like speed into the right hander (Corner 4 on the normal layout) is the ~ same. Unfortunately for me that means the same amount of oversteer!

    ReplyDelete